Thursday, January 29, 2015

Doc Nem's Lecture on Alligning Assessment to OBE

This picture struck me in Dr. Nem's presentation during the NTTCHP 8th NatCon.  I am an educator and a mother to a twelve year old girl who is in the last year of elementary at the UP  Integrated School (UPIS) and reading the dialogue raised a red flag in me.

As a mother , choosing between the two in the cartoon, is difficult. I want my child to be able to learn, but I also want her to pass the test. Though I do not like to be grade conscious, let's face it: my daughter's chances of success will be greatly affected by the numbers written on her report card.

If the outcome-based education will be true to its principles, then I wouldn't worry at all. Outcome-based education assesses what it wants students to be able to demonstrate at the end of every learning experiences. If properly implemented by us teachers, then there's no worry about having students who are learning a lot but not passing the tests nor students who are passing the tests but not learning anything at all.

In OBE students who are learning will definitely pass the tests and the students who pass the test definitely learn.

9 comments:

  1. I like that that.
    Learning is really different and I hope that all teachers are aware of that.
    But most often we parents are preoccupied with the *grades and the passing* because that's our gauge, well that's the guage that we are used to.

    Love, didi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting topic! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to the two characters in the picture. Back in college, I can remember perfect scores in exam but afterwards, I would totally forget about it. My professor once said that cramming in preparing for exams can increase your short term memory but unfortunately, it wouldn't stick much to your long term memory. Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. As a mom, it is hard to balance learning from passing the tests. When I was still studying, I was actually the left picture, I was learning a lot but terrible with tests..But, I guess, we are adapt to that mentality that if we pass the test, then we are learning. I hope you can write more about this as this is an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really groundbreaking and interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share the same sentiments. I look at my kids' grades but I am more concerned about their ability to grasp concepts and being able to apply what they learned in the real word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really agree to the principle behind outcome-based education. Unfortunately, a lot of schools here in the country don't adhere to that. They put so much pressure on kids to get high grades even though they're only memorizing stuff. That's not real learning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit back in my early years as a student my grades were just so-so but I've learned a lot and it shaped me to who I am today. Thanks to my 'strict' and competent teachers in high school. -MacySantos

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was still a student, I had very good grades, however if you will ask me to recall the things I learned, I only really remember the subjects and topics I enjoyed. It was all about memorizing but not really grasping concepts.

    ReplyDelete